23 January 2006

Open Letter: Mentor

Mentor, I knew intellectually that I would probably be forced to write this letter to someone, sometime in my ministry in the Kingdom, but I guess this is one of those situations in life where your brain just doesn’t see fit to inform your heart. I never thought that I would be writing such a letter as this to you. Indeed, writing this letter to you is the hardest thing I think I have ever had to do. In my short time on this world I have faced drug addictions, mental illness, combat, poverty, homelessness and everything in between and I consider them all to be nothing more than a mere nuisance compared to the wound inflicted because I must write this to you. I know of no other way to say this, so I will just say it: Mentor, I must humbly call you to repentance. I am not comfortable doing this. After all, I sat at your feet to learn about our King and how to serve His Kingdom. Under your guidance I learned to see ministry as a labor of love. I learned to live my life Coram Deo, before the face of God. I learned to embrace the promises of God, reflecting them in my thoughts, words, and deeds, and how to exhort others to do the same. You taught me to give myself to the building up of His Kingdom. I learned to worship Him in spirit and truth under you. And you taught me the great importance of proclaiming the truth regardless of the situation or the consequences. You were my teacher, my counsel, my friend, and my brother. It’s ironic really; you taught me well. That is why I write. Tell me, Mentor, what has happened? When I first learned of your deviation, I didn’t fully believe it. I just couldn’t see you of all people contributing to the perversion of the Gospel. But it soon became very difficult to ignore the evidence I was seeing. I told myself that this was just people misquoting and misunderstanding you, it had to be; surely that is what it was. I decided that I needed to talk to you and get your side of the issue. The only problem was you seemed to completely ignore my attempts to communicate my concerns with you. In time, people, not just rumors, began to pop up everywhere that were testifying to the fact that you and your leadership under you were compromising the Gospel and undermining the purity of His Bride, doing and saying things contrary to the service of the King. I knew what had to be done but I was reluctant. I knew someone needed to confront you concerning these things before it got out of hand. But no one felt it was their place to do so. The truth is you had alienated everyone around you because you are right, everyone else is wrong, and no one would convince you otherwise. You have ridiculed others that differ with you, belittled those who oppose you, and teach your personal ideas as integral to the Gospel. You have not exemplified the marks of service in the Kingdom; you have ceased to love and edify the Church of Christ. Unfortunately, the damage is now done. The Kingdom does not live, move, and have it’s being in a vacuum. The families in your flock that you have manipulated, scorned and indoctrinated will never be the same again. In some cases, the damage you did will have consequences that may last for generations to come. And you have done considerable hurt to the local Bodies of Christ around you as well. Yet, it doesn’t need to end this way, Mentor. I beg you, lift your voice to the Savior and repent of your sins, humble yourself before our merciful King and He will grant you peace. Recognize your error, and while it is still called ‘today’ plead your case before the Almighty that, like all of us, you are a sinner in need of His grace and mercy as well. Doing the right thing is not easy, you taught me that as well. You might never preach again. You might not ever pastor a congregation of His people again. But this much is certain; He is faithful and just to forgive you of your sin and cleanse you from all unrighteousness. Repent, my Mentor, and restore yourself to the King, his people and me, your one time padawan... Kingdomclay

3 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

very well written, heartfelt and loving. I pray that true repentance comes to any and all that stray from the true gospel.

Tuesday, 24 January, 2006  
Anonymous Mom said...

I totally agree with Tara. It was heartfelt, loving and also well written. I pray that it makes many think and reevalutate. Knowing how much you meant it, how difficult it was to have to write it, and your real heart for the Kingdom, it seemed very sad that it had to be written. But, sometimes a protege' can speak where no other can. Love, Mom

Tuesday, 24 January, 2006  
Anonymous Stanley said...

I'd be surprised if you didn't already know this Mr. Branson, but your "mentor" has been defrocked by his denomination.

I'm sorry.

Saturday, 28 January, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home